Providing a significant source of information for upper high school and community college students concerning steroids and their derivatives, this book provides a holistic overview of this controversial class of drugs.
• Provides readers with an understanding of the function of natural steroids in the human body, their crucial roles in maintaining life, and their effects on mental, physical, and reproductive functions
• Clarifies the differences between natural and synthetic steroids and their use in medicine and illegally in recreational activities
• Provides an overview of current legislation and federal regulation of steroids and steroid-like chemicals
• Projects the continuum of use of steroids as medications and as recreational drugs based on current research, governmental attitudes, and social perceptions of the acceptability of such substances
• Features an introductory case-study chapter about two young people whose lives were significantly impacted by steroids, putting the material into a real-world context